Myers-Briggs Test


I suppose what makes it fun to take personality tests like "What is your ideal [x]" / "What [y] represents you" / "Find out if you have [x] disorder" is this sort of sense of control that they give us, maybe a feeling that everything fits, has meaning or purpose, or simply that our uniqueness can be classified anyway, somehow, in a framework of patterns that guide us to know what to expect from ourselves, or to explain things we've done or said. Of course, most are not meant to be taken very seriously, a notorious example being those that only take your initials or your date of birth and give you a new name (such as "Your Star Wars name" or "Your werewolf name"). The case of Moon Moon is real classic, hehehe.

One good day, a couple of years ago, I was taking a few random fun tests, and some not so much, when I suddenly run into a list of the allegedly "Best Personality Tests!". Out of them, the one that really kept my interest was the Myers-Briggs Test (there is indeed quite a lot of information around this test, as well as different versions of it, so I won't extend much explaining its foundations or how it works). Later I learned that it has been both harshly criticized and greatly appreciated and acclaimed.

What I find interesting about this test is that it focuses on your deepest preferences, rather than in your current mood or recent decisions. I think it's an important feature because the latter two are much more variable over time than the first, while preferences seem to mark something more as a base line for determining our "mental wiring." In my case, I took the test from different websites and from time to time between, and inevitably it turns out that my result is INTJ. A couple of times I scored as an INTP, though.

The reason I took the test so many times was to see if any change of focus caused by the day by day or my mood of the moment affected the result, and clearly it didn't. Also, depending on the site, there are definitions for each type that vary from one another, but at least in my opinion, and that of the people to whom I have had taken the test, the following are the ones that most accuratedly described the 16 personalities:

Personality Hacker (they have very interesting podcasts too)
Personality Page (for me, the best "portrait" of INTJs I've read.) The personal growth section is gold)

I can't fail to mention the great Michael Pierce on his Youtube channel. Although he talks like a robot and you have to have patience to watch his videos, they go a bit slow ... the guy is very intelligent, modest and sincere. He has cited Celebrity Types as his source of information on Jungian typology.

I've heard from people that when they do the test more than once, they get different results every time, or that when reading the description, they can't identify themselves enough. They also say that it is an example of the Forer effect. But that has never happened to me at least, nor can I identify with the descriptions of other than the INTJ type. Anyway...

Keep your brain from falling, love ;)

Comentarios

Entradas populares